02 Jul 6 summer skin tips from Dr Gabriela
Beat the heat and keep your skin looking its best with my essential summer skin tips
- Keep a face mist in your fridge
And spritz it on when you’re starting to wilt. Even better invest in a mist that contains skin-rejuvenating ingredients. MoonlightDust Magic Rain contains 100% molecular water; micro-molecules of water so small they are able to penetrate skin cells promoting cell renewal and collagen synthesis; in other words healthy, youthful looking skin! To find out more click here
- Turn down the temp
Hot water strips skin of its natural oils, causing dryness and blood vessels to dilate which makes skin look red. A cool shower after excess sweating helps keep the skin unoccluded decreasing acne breakouts and flushing.
- Invest in a face-specific sunscreen
You wouldn’t use body lotion on your face nor would you use a face cream on your body – well the same applies to sunscreen.
Facial sunscreens have lighter textures and are more easily absorbed than products for the body so they can be worn under make-up. Many contain antioxidants which stabilise the SPF for improved efficacy. Some are tinted, doubling up as a skin primer too.
When applying sunscreen to the face or body follow these golden rules:
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen; one that protects you from UVA and UVB rays; with minimum of SPF30 and apply it 15-30 minutes before going in the sun to allow it to soak in.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours and always after swimming and towel drying. Don’t wait to see if you skin is turning red as sunburn can take up to 24 hours to show.
- Most people only apply 25% of the recommended amount of sun cream but for 100% coverage you need to apply at least 3 tablespoons. Be careful not to miss patches like your ears, neck, backs of hands and feet.
- Be vigilant with spray. It easily blows away in the breeze, so apply it under cover until skin has a glossy coating, and then rub it in
- Wear a big hat. A baseball cap won’t protect your face from sun coming at an angle instead choose a hat with a wide circular brim for full protection.
- Beat hyperpigmentation
Dark spots (hyperpigmentation) form when pigment-producing melanocytes are damaged or overstimulated by sun exposure. The best way to avoid future darks spots is to protect your skin with good quality facial sunscreen not just in summer, but every day of the year.
MoonlightDust™ is a cutting-edge new clinical facial that dramatically reduces existing patches of hyperpigmentation as well as wrinkles and open pores. It is the first and only facial to utilise molecular water. This unique ingredient dramatically speeds up the cell renewal cycle reducing the build-up of dead surface skin cells and rough texture that can cause hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone, fine lines and wrinkle and enlarged pores. To find out more click here
- Get a beach-ready body
Tanned skin usually looks tighter and more toned, so getting some colour can help make cellulite, stretch marks and spider veins less noticeable. Get a professional spray tan or opt for creams, gels and mousses that you can use at home. Make sure you exfoliate and moisturise your skin first and apply with a tanning mitt to achieve an even finish.
If your arms, legs, breasts or bottom are starting to sag there’s BeautyLift Body, the first and only non-surgical thread lift treatment that lifts, tightens and refines the skin on the body. The treatment takes 1 hour with minimal downtime and immediate and progressive results that last for up to 36 months. To find out more click here
6.Don’t forget your feet
Banish the cycle of cracked heels and calluses for good with new H+R Foot Cream (coming soon!) Unlike traditional foot creams which only promote surface hydration H+R contains molecular water which hydrates the skin at a cellular level delivering immediate and progressive softening and rejuvenating effect.